Tathra Steamer Wharf
The red rocky shoreline was a tough place to build a wharf in the 1800s, but the district’s farmers desperately needed a place to export their wares.
Demand quickly outgrew the wharf and it was extended in 1912, including yards and watering troughs for stock. In 1914 it was the place for an emotional farewell for the district’s soldiers as they went off to the First World War. As with the Merimbula wharf, demand for shipping waned in the 1950s and the wharf slowly fell into disrepair.
The absence of commercial activity was soon replaced by locals and visitors who made good use of its ocean access and beauty and today the wharf has been restored, with a bustling local produce café and gallery housed in the former cargo sheds.
Parking can be a problem and a popular alternative is to continue past the Wharf Road turnoff and park on the Tathra Headland with its spectacular views. From there, walk down the road to the stairway directly above the wharf, but take care as it is eroded from very heavy seas in the 1950s.